For as many years as I can remember, August has been the longest month of the year. I'm sure it's a combination of things, not the least of them being that its typically the hottest month of the year as well. By the end of August I'm longing for fall so badly that I can taste it. I pull out a few of my fall decorations (who am I kidding really, my entire house is done in fall colors and decor!) I start dreaming about making stews and soups and chili and watching the sky for signs of the first snow.
This year I heard the first locusts begin buzzing in July. Whether it's an old wives or farmer's tale, I can't be sure, but "they" say that when the locusts start buzzing there are only six more weeks until the first frost. If it holds true this year as it has in the past we should be seeing the first appearance of frosty splendor around the middle of September. It won't be long now!
Yep, this long August is starting to get on my nerves. This past week the days have been cooking us in temperatures of over 100 degrees. The nights, however, are getting downright chilly already, and while that's excellent news in my book, I could certainly do without the broiling sun show during the day.
Today is the 28th. This excites me for very good reasons! Only 3 days left in the longest month of the year! come ON September! Come on Fall!! Come on beautiful foliage, cabins in Estes, holidays, comfort food, and Husker football! I've missed you!
This is amazing. You made me feel so ready for all the amazing comfort food, snuggles on cold nights, and the beauty of the changing season. I think I am ready to let go of this summer.
ReplyDeleteThanks sweetie.
ReplyDelete