Life is hard sometimes. But we tend to do a good job of making it twice as hard as it needs to be without even thinking about it. I'm trying to adopt a much simpler way of life, and it's definitely a work in progress. I've learned that surrounding myself with people who are happy, well adjusted, well grounded, and like-minded is imperative.
There's also a very fine line between being jaded/suspicious and being cautious about who you decide to trust to be a part of the people you want around you. I'm still learning that one, and in the process I've been burned a time or two. I'm still trying to sort out the lessons, which are inevitable as well, and lead me to believe that the people in our lives aren't completely our own choice. God sends people in to teach us, bless us, and love us. The ones that He sends to teach aren't always a pleasant experience.
All of this might sound like I'm making life harder than it needs to be. And perhaps that's true. But I feel like I am trying to spray the shit off of a true gem here, and coming up empty handed. One of my best friends in all the world is a turd polisher! Yep, that's what I call her. In fact, that's what she calls herself. She can take a piece of crap be it a house, furniture, car, or human being and polish it up so that it looks amazing. Now all of that is awesome when it comes to the non human things. But not so much when the humans come in to play. Sometimes a turd is a turd no matter how much you scrub it up. I've even consulted her about this turd and she's got nothin.
So what happens when a turd is in your life, and you can't do much about it? Hmmm very good question. Do I keep trying to polish it up? I'm thinking not. The definition of insanity again? Oh yeah.. to continue to do the same things over and over again, expecting different results. My particular turd isn't ever going to change. I think I can see that rather clearly right now. So where to go from here? Learn to love this turd you say? Hmm. I already do love it. That's part of the problem. Not romantic love, not like I love my children, more like a very naughty pet that serves no purpose really other than to annoy you and make you want to pull your hair out. You love the pet, you can't justify taking it to the pound, but sometimes you wish it was the neighbor's pet or maybe belonged to someone that lived across town.
I think what I'm supposed to do here is change the way I see the turd. I'm casting it in a very negative light for sure. Perhaps I need to give it less significance in my life while still acknowledging that it needs to be here. I'm not sure, but pounding it out on the blog helps a little. I can see that I'm the one who needs to make the change. I'm pretty sure the turd doesn't mind things the way they are at all. I'll need to think it through better I guess.. in the mean time, I guess I'll go make dinner.
Awww hugs to you Sharon. You have a good head on your shoulders and will figure this out and make the right decision. Still doesn't mean it is easy though, huh? {{{HUGS}}} Meridith
ReplyDelete